Tuesday 30 October 2012

A new adventure

Yesterday, after 7 years in storage, my beloved back pack made a welcome appearance from its home in the loft.  The (slightly) old boy, was then packed and ready for a new adventure.

Since then I have managed to get him and myself from London Heathrow to Delhi, via Mumbai all on my own.  That's right, I made my first solo flight all the way to India and I wont lie, I was terrified.


When I arrived at Heathrow, I had a nice surprise of an upgraded flight to first class and I spent my time waiting in the first class lounge, eating bacon sandwich's and drinking champagne.

My flight was pretty comfortable too, as you can imagine when you have this much leg room with lost of free food and drink!


The experience at Mumbai airport was a bit overwhelming, I had to collect my bags, have them scanned, check them back in again and then get on a bus all the way to the other side of the airport.  Luckily, I was sat next to a really lovely man on the plane on the way to India and he helped me out and made sure I got to where I needed to go.

My next flight was a little less comfortable, as I had just spent 5 hours in Mumbai during the night, but at least this flight was considerably shorter!  If I thought arriving in Mumbai was overwhelming, well you can imagine Delhi was a massive culture shock.

My senses were assaulted as I stepped onto the tarmac and the constant nagging to get into someone's cab, was little more than annoying after nearly two days of traveling.  Now here is a tip for you, when you arrive in Delhi get yourself a prepaid cab and don't get yourself conned.  I did this and found myself sat in the back of, what I can only describe as a VW beetle that had been shrunk in the wash and battered with a hammer, it was amazing.  I felt like my real journey in India was beginning.

My hour(ish) drive then to the hotel consisted of closing my eyes and PRAYING, that I arrived at the hotel to see Siobhan in one piece.  The driving in India is shocking, they have no regard for the lines, they use their horns instead of their eyes and drive around round abouts and through pot holes like they are on an off-roading rally in a 4x4, not a tin can car/motorbike.  But its something you just have to embrace and try and relax into.  Eventually I got used to it and didn't try slamming my foot onto my imaginary break, quite as much by the end of the trip, as I did in the beginning.

Here is a photo that I took on my first journey into Delhi:


After a massively girly/screaming welcome to Delhi when I finally found Siobhan at the door to our hotel, I checked in and have now already seen half of Delhi.  The hotel we stayed in here, was called Suncourt Corporate and was perfect for what we needed.  The staff were really helpful, friendly and made sure that our stay was comfortable and stress free.

Here is a short snapshot of our day today:


We have hired a driver for the next 4 days (and its barely cost us a penny) and tomorrow will be on our way to see Agra and the Taj Mahal.

Our first stop in Delhi was to a temple called Jama Masjid, where we were charged 100R to look like idiots in what I can only describe as a hair dressing cloak from the 60s'.  This was after I was busting for the loo, yet after seeing them decided that I would probably rather wet myself, than walk through that amount of excrement in flip flops.


Our first day in Delhi has been quite an experience, one which we have shared with more than one Indian family too.  Its been our in joke today that we think we must have been in more photographs with other people than we have with each other.

We finished the day with a trip to India Gate, where I was harassed by a little girl to buy a bracelet with my name on it.  So I got one for Kelly...

This post might seem like a massive moan, but its honestly not, its just how India is and if you are prepared to embrace all of its little quirks, you will love it just as much as I did.

Tonight I am looking forward to my first curry (in India not ever) and going to sleep!  Tomorrow we are going to explore a few more places in Delhi and then will be off to Agra to see the Taj...

No comments:

Post a Comment