Wednesday 27 November 2013

Documenting your travels

Like most people who are travelling and seeing new things, I want to keep a memory of everything and show everyone what I have seen when I get home.  However, how much of what I am seeing am I only seeing through a lens?

Have you ever been to a concert, gig or festival where you feel like you are watching the majority of it through other peoples cameras or phones?  I have recently become an Instagram addict, however, if this new social media platform has taught me anything, its that you need to be selective about the images you are sharing and in turn taking pictures of.

It's been a long time since I went travelling, nearly seven years to be exact and in those months I was away I took over 1000 pictures.  Since coming home I a lot of these pictures, as they do, have made their way into the world of Facebook (luckily) as just over a year ago the laptop I had everything stored on was stolen. 

Yesterday I bought my very first DSLR - so I will no longer have to carry around my retro SLR, my crummy old digital camera or worry about my iPhone running out of battery.

I have now seen my fair share of places around the globe, but the one thing that I have never been able to photograph are the stars and there is something magical about them no matter where you are in the world.

I can remember the very first time that I saw real stars in the sky too (as I live in London you can never really see the stars).  It was on Rotnest Island, Perth and they were beautiful.  It was like someone had taken a cave full of diamonds and thrown them up in the sky.  The sparkled beautifully.

source: davemorrowphotography.com
This time around, I want to learn how to photograph stars before I go so that I can put some of the learning's into practice when I am out in Australia and shortly after Thailand. So I am going to have to go on a bit of a road trip to find some with no light pollution. 

I have been having a look around the web at how I can do this, and have found this article, plus another here.  But any other tips are welcome (please), I am sure I will spend my first night in Australia suffering from jet lag, so I plan to use this to my advantage with a late night photographing the stars on the beach at Coogee.

Don't forget to follow me here too...

No comments:

Post a Comment